Since last year, WhatsApp has been working on dark mode feature for its social application. We heard a lot of news back then that WhatsApp is working on dark mode feature. But now, they have unveiled the awesome feature. This feature is not available for all people as of the time of writing this post but it’s going to spread across the globe very soon. It was the WABetaInfo that first spotted the feature.
He went to the Google Play Store and discovered dark mode in the latest WhatsApp beta upde (2.20.13) and a lot of people checked theirs and the dark mode is available. Check the screen shots below.
How WhatsApp dark mode works
So how does the WhatsApp dark mode really works? Well, WhatsApp uses dark hues instead of going completely black. This means that the dark mode feature on WhatsApp is not as dark as other dark modes found on some applications. You are going to be disappointed if you are a fan of OLED dark mode on some apps. But nevertheless, it is still easy to the eyes compared to its normal light mode.
If you wanted to turn on dark mode on WhatsApp just to save your battery drainage, kindly note that it is not going to work if your phone uses an LCD panel screen. But however, if your smartphone uses an OLED display, it is going to work and the blacks will be even more deeper. The feature can enable itself automatically or you do it manually.
Here is what i mean by enabling it automatically, if your smartphone is running Android 10 and you turned on dark mode in your phone settings, it is going to reflect on WhatsApp automatically. But if you are using an Android 9 pie device or lower, that means you need to go to WhatsApp settings to enable it manually. Another way for Android 9 pie users is that you can leave it to automatically enable itself when battery saver is on. When your phones battery saver turns on, (normally from 20%) the WhatsApp dark mode will enable itself automatically.
How to enable WhatsApp dark mode on Android
- First, make sure you have signed up for WhatsApp beta. Otherwise you’ll need to use the likes of APKMirror to grab the update if you haven’t signed up for the beta.
- Update WhatsApp for Android to the latest beta version from Google Play or download the APK from here
- Go to WhatsApp Settings ⇒ Chats ⇒ Theme ⇒ Choose Dark theme
- ‘System default’ option available for Android 10 users identifies the theme used by the Android system and changes the theme to light or dark theme accordingly
- ‘Set by Battery Saver’ option available for Android Pie and lower versions automatically switches to light or dark theme based on Battery Saver settings.
That’s it. WhatsApp Dark Theme feature should be available widely for stable users soon. iOS users should get it this year since the company is said to be working on two different configurations based on iPhone Accessibility Settings, first one with very dark colors and other with soft dark colors.